1. Key Information
  2. SEND
  3. SEND Report

SEND Report


The school creates an inclusive environment; we have a policy within the school of caring for all our children.  Every child at some time in their school life may need special educational help for any number of reasons.  The staff are aware of this and are able to seek help and guidance on how to deal with problems as and when they occur.  

These may be:


  1. Communication and Interaction 
  2. Cognition and Learning 
  3. Social, mental emotional health
  4. Sensory and/or physical disability

If at any time you have concerns about your child in any way, do come into school and share your concern with your child's teacher. Following this, our special needs co-ordinators (SENDCo's), Mrs Ashbourne - FS & Key Stage 1 and Miss Ambrose - Key Stage 2, are also available to discuss any issues relating to SEN.
1. How does Arlies Primary School know if children need extra help?
We know when pupils need help if:
Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
Limited progress is being made.
Attainment is below that of their peers.
There is a change in the pupil's progress, attainment, communication and interaction, and/or social, mental emotional health

2. What should I do if I think that my child has Special Education Needs?
Every child at some time in their school life may need intervention and extra support for any number of reasons.  If you have concerns about your child then come into school and share your concern with the class teacher. Your child may need extra support for a short period of time or more specific intervention.
3. How will Arlies Primary School support my child?
Each pupil's education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated according to the pupil's individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistants in the class.
If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of learning such as spelling, handwriting, literacy,  numeracy or Speech and Language difficulties, then they may be placed in a small group where specific interventions are given. These will be run by the teacher, teaching assistant or practitioners within the school. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ensure effectiveness and inform future planning. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to make an appointment with the class teacher.
If your child has physical difficulties, special resources will be bought in to accommodate your child’s needs, such as special cutlery, place mats, table rests and chair supports.
Pupil progress meetings and moderation meetings are held termly. This is a meeting where the class teacher discusses the progress of all pupils with other teachers in school and is overseen by the SENDCo's.  These meetings may indicate further support for some pupils.
Occasionally pupils may need assessing or we may need to seek advice from an outside agency such as Speech and Language or an Educational Psychologist. A referral will be completed with your support and consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency.
Staff access relevant training as part of their professional development to support children's needs.
4. How will learning be matched to my child's needs?
If a child has been identified as having a Special Educational Need, they may have an SEND or a Provision Map, which shows additional support or interventions that they may be accessing. These will be set up and shared with you by the class teacher each term. Targets will be discussed and set according to their need. These will be monitored, amended and discussed with you. Copies of these targets will be given to you and your child.
If appropriate, specialist resources or dispensations may be given to the pupil, e.g. writing slopes, coloured vision rulers, pencil grips, concentration cushions coloured overlays, visual timetables, additional time or somebody to scribe for them.
Reasonable access arrangements may be arranged where appropriate following the DfE Assessment and Reporting Arrangements for children taking tests or SATs.
5.  How will I know how my child is doing?
You will be able to discuss your child's progress at parents' meetings held in the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.
Your child's class teacher will be available to speak to after school along with the SENDCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). Please arrange appointments in advance by contacting school on 0161 3384854.

6.  How will you help me to support my child learning?
At Arlies Primary School we aim to foster a good working partnership with parents/carers. The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child and include these on an SEND or a Provision Map. The plan will include suggestions of how you can support your child at home.
If outside agencies such as Speech and Language or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of work are normally provided and can be used at home.
7.  What specialist support and services are accessed by the school?
At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies and these agencies may in some cases work with your child on the school premises.
The agencies used by the school include:
Educational Psychologist
Speech and Language Therapy
Visual Impaired team
Hearing impaired team
Occupational Therapy
CLASS (Communication, Language and Autistic Spectrum Support)
BLIS (Behaviour Support team)

Healthy Young Minds
School Nurse
Health Visitor
Tameside Families Together,

8. What support will be given to my child with medical needs?
We adhere to our school medical policy which can be viewed on our website.
Where a Care Plan is required, we will work with you to formulate a plan to meet the needs of your child.
In the case of a medical emergency we will assess the situation and if required will not hesitate to ring 999. We will contact you immediately.
Each year we have training on using an EPI Pen and on helping children with Epilepsy. If we have any concerns we refer to the headteacher. We currently have three members of staff who hold a certificate for "First Aid in the Workplace" and members of staff who have completed the "Paediatric First Aid Training".
9.   Who can I contact for further information?
If you wish to discuss your child's special educational needs then please contact the office to make an appointment with Miss Ambrose, Mrs Ashbourne or your child’s class teacher.

This SEND Information Report (School Local Offer) will be reviewed in the Summer term with parents, staff and governors.